Tuesday was report card day for Daystar staff. That meant I didn't really have to be there, but it took me most of the day to write up another book unit for my reading group. We also took an hour lunch together and the principal made us soup. Its a really fun group of teachers, they are really easy to get along with. I worked a bit more on my India Unit as well. That is kind of stressing me out. They take a learning excusion to Indiatown and I have to plan it all out. Its an all day thing, at a community center, then buffet lunch, and a scavenger hunt, planned by me! ahh! but I am excited that we get that opportunity, I already have a bunch of ideas to make the classroom time fun too so hopefully it works out as well in real life as it is in my head :)
Wednesday was an inservice day. I started with an hour meeting one-on-one with my teacher to talk about my book unit among other things. It was a good meeting, she gave me good general ideas that I can use in a lot of areas, especially adapting for the lower learners. I was also given a weekly plan for the rest of my time here which is great to know. Then we had a 3 hour staff meeting about 'what is a Daystar education.' I felt a little out of place as I really don't know the answer to that after 2 weeks (nor did one of the teachers of 2 years). But it was an interesting conversation nonetheless because we talked about HOW we should teach and plan and other fun things that would only be fun if you were a teacher :)
After lunch today (only a half hour this time, brownbaggie style), just the teachers got together and planned out our learning excursion (LE) for tuesday to the "museum of modern ice" and our showcase night for thursday which is based on that. This meeting was actually a lot of fun, we laughed through most of it I think! Trying to come up with clever names for the activities at the showcase night.. example, building with blocks of ice (like the classic wooden blocks only ice): Arctic Architecture. I am working the Catch-a-Treat station, aka homemade ice cream (made by tossing ziplocs of ingredients in bigger ziplocs of ice and rock salt). I think its going to be a really fun night.
Next week is a really busy week and my teacher is gone! Having a sub there all week basically means I am the in-charge right?! :) at least the go-to... On top of the LE Tues and the showcase night Thurs, we are also starting a new unit on explorers and have a class LE to statues of Columbus for that. Its kind of an intense week, fun for the kids, a lot of prep for the teachers.
Last night was a total lunar eclipse, I hope you all watched it!

a terrible pic as you can't even see the moon, but this is the view from our buildings doorway.
the Hancock is just to the right
While we were on the street waiting for it to happen, this guy walking by decided he wanted some conversation. He was an attorney, his name is Terry, he likes astronomy, he's been divorced, he goes to Shenanigans often (the bar down the street from whence he just came), and I could continue but I think you get the point :) Anyway, I loved that he introduced me to the word syzygy: three celestial bodies form a straight line configuration. Its a good word, bank it.
Today= no school, no roommates, sleeping in, pretending to do homework. aka Good Time
(I added pics in their relevant places, so scroll down! I'll try to add them at relevant times from now on as well)
No comments:
Post a Comment