another uneventful beginning to the week.
School: Mr Hays is a really fun sub. He tells jokes and riddles all day long. The kids love it and I've even written a few down :) He also has NW ties, his daughter goes there and he was the runner up to be chaplan. Nice guy, its going to be fun to get ideas from his different teaching style this week. I'm doing math full time now. It is proving to be very difficult with three very distinct levels of student ability, containing both extremes. Finding that balance in my teaching isn't coming as well as I would hope. I also don't feel like I am doing enough, but I think it is just my mindset. I am used to the split up seven period days with the subjects taught with distinction. That doesn't really happen at this school with no textbooks. The students days aren't very uniform which bothers me a bit because I feel like there is too much lost in transition or in snack and lunch and bathroom break times... I'll get over it eventually.
I was hoping for a late start today as we had a winter storm warning until noon but it was just wishful thinking. We went on our LE to the ice sculptures at Millennium Park. It was an interesting atmosphere to keep track of 50 kids. Especially one particularly naughty kid who kept trying to walk away, have snow ball fights, etc. I sat by him on the bus to keep him in line :)
Work: I am definitely not changing my work habits :) procrastinator through and through.
Play: Monday night our new Dordt friends Karyn and Sarah came over for a 410 visit (this may seem to go against previous statements (friends dont let friends go to Dordt) but...). Tonight we went to the Museum of Contemporary Art. It was a good Contemporary Art visit, unlike the one you may hear about if you ask a few of my Spain friends... The exhibits were all very interesting and we stayed much longer than anticipated. One of my favorites was an 8' clam shell that was made by an artist that claimed to have gotten into art because he hated the 'do not touch' signs at museums. so in place of his 'do not touch' sign it said 'please remove shoes before entering.'
now, I actually plan to hit the grindstone...
Let me know if you get the riddle :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment