Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Fat Tuesday

I failed to introduce my roommates last time, my bad...
I am living with Janice and Susan, both from Northwestern. Last semester I lived with Janice as well but I didn't know Susan at all before now. They are both really fun girls (of course) and they have internships around the city. We seem to be pretty similar in a lot of ways so I think its going to be a really good time living together. We already have a plan for groceries and a schedule for cooking and doing dishes, so far so good.

The apt building that we live in has a bunch of students from the Chicago Semester program as well, and the other kids we know are only a little trip on the CTA. I'm also pretty excited about the closer proximity to a bunch of my Spain friends. Janice and I have a fairly large list of things we decided we have to do while here like Oprah, finding a random date, salsa dancing, among others...I'll let you know how that goes.

One of these upcoming Wednesdays we are going to a show called Felt, described as "few things are funnier than puppets behaving badly," should be good. On V-day I think I'm going to Rent. Wicked is in March. Next friday my school is going on a field trip to a symphony playing the Carnival of Animals. My school actually takes field trips quite regularly, 'chicago as a classroom' is a motto of theirs, so thats a perk for me too.

Tonight, my roomies are going to a free Sara Groves concert with some others from the program while I stay behind and do some lesson planning. Being fat tuesday, we are going to meet up later at a place nearby and celebrate a little. nothing too crazy, have to get up for school at 6:15am. Tomorrow there is a sub so I think I may have more responsibilities, which I am actually looking forward to. It is an easy day too because Wednesdays are early outs for staff development reasons so we only go until 1. Its also pizza day so the kids are a little crazier. They only have hot lunch once a week, and every day we eat in the classroom. There are so many little things like that which all add up to make this most definitely a unique experience for me.

No comments: