yesterday was such a nice day! I could have left school at noon but I felt a bit obligated so I stayed until 1:30. (Wed. is always early out at 1...) Then I made a trip to the huge Harold Washington Library again and decided to walk along State St for a bit in the nice weather. I unfortunately didn't feel much like shopping which is the thing to do on that street, but I walked for a few blocks mostly people watching and enjoying the sun and its warmth. Then I went back north to our neighborhood and walked around up here because we haven't really explored it much as it is a lot of residential. I probably should have gone to sit at the lake or somewhere and read outside but instead I came back to the apt and opened the windows. Its funny how literal that is, no screen, no ledge, just open window to the rocks below :) [even as I sit here now, the feather boa we have on a table next to the window is actually blowing in the breeze. the breeze from the 'closed' window mind you. (don't ask why we have a feather boa, I can't answer that...)]
It was a wonderful day. While walking to the park with the 2 and 3 graders, we saw a cardinal and you would not believe how excited they got over that. It did seem out of place; the flaming crimson perched on the vacant branches of a winter-sleeping tree. Signs of spring are everywhere. The bulbs in the public flower beds are poking up their first growth. Birds are singing us awake (whether we like it or not).
Then the day changes and true to Chicago style, so does the weather. I got to walk the half mile from my school to the el station in some awesome sleety snow. I was kind of angry about it because I had just missed the first bus and the second bus drove right by me at the stop. thanks. So it was a definite stay in and watch a movie night. After some Oceans 11 now, I am already ready for bed... lame I know. I need to pick up a hobby eh?!
Today at school we got a few new additions, all involving arachnids. Both grades 1 and 2 are on the Spiders Unit, I have been learning quite a bit. Shortly after lunch a large parcel arrived, this meant the rest of the day was pretty much gone. The kids were way too into the new arrivals. The first grade room I was helping with today received a dozen cellar spiders. It was pretty comical to watch the teacher transferring the spiders from their individual containers to the terrarium, she is not so comfortable with spiders, and the kids were unsure as well. Needless to say, I did most of the relocating while the kids sat around the table squirming with excitement, fear, revulsion; choose your combination. The second grade room received their tarantula as well! The class voted on its name and decided on Gerrad Jr, aka the teachers husbands name, thought that was funny. Then after school I used my web-spinning skills to make the hallway bulletin board. My skills are pretty good I'd say ;)
Gerrad, Jr
Eat your heart out spidey :)
No comments:
Post a Comment