Saturday, March 1, 2008

Apt 410 - commitment to culture

I was dead tired on Friday. Lack of sleep made school seem very long, and it didn't help that two of the students, who sit at the same table and are both in my reading group, now hate eachother. Great for group work.
During team time (every friday we have this, all the classes get together for a community activity to make our school more like a family than all segregated) we played musical chairs. This was no ordinary musical chairs though, no elimination. With two circles of about 35-40 kids in each, we got down to 12 chairs. Everyone find a lap! It got quite loud and the only reason we didn't continue was because the principal came out and said she had a phone conference in her office...

That night Janice and I walked around downtown for a bit. We originally planned to meet up with a small group of people and go ice skating but that plan was foiled for the second time. Instead we went to 'the Uptown girls' apartment for a surprise birthday party. We discovered that carrying certain things on the train evokes more conversation from strangers, mainly men strangers, asking for dates. We were asked to bring games, one unfortunately titled Dirty Minds. It didn't fit in our purses and we neglected to put it into a plastic bag. note to selves: don't do that again.

Today we ventured north. An hour bus ride up to Devon which is home of a pretty large Indian and Pakistani community. I was doing a bit of research for my unit plan. Its still a bit overwhelming but its fun to know that we can take that day field trip up there to experience it more first hand. Its just an unfortunately long trip, especially from school which is even more south than our apt. Though we will travel straight there not stopping every block to pick up and drop off people. I cannot believe it is already March. Its going by so quickly, and I feel like I haven't done anything yet. We decided on our way home that we should continue this culture outing business every week. We've almost done it each weekend so far, so we plan to try a new cuisine each weekend now, or at least experience a different neighborhood in some way.

Fun vicarious experience I had - Susan and a couple other girls saw Charles Gibson on Friday! He was going into the studio downtown and they walked right by him, they all realized it and turned around and shouted "Hey Charlie Gibson!" and he turned around and waved back! sorry, I love those stories :)

I am unfortunately starting to get sick, just a sore throat mostly, but so much so that it also affected my sleep on Thurs night. last night I got some nighttime sore throat grossness. Tastes awful but I slept well. Hopefully that goes away soon.

No comments: