Thursday, March 13, 2008

birds and bicycles

Chicago's got spring fever... anyone else?! It is 58° right now and I'm loving it. Yesterday I began to notice the increase in the singing of birds and in the number of bicycles. Its wonderful! not so good for the homework load I'm still carrying (which by the way is why its been awhile) but I will try to get as much done tonight as possible and hope it stays this nice for the green river weekend!

Things youve missed:
The roomies and our Dordt friends :) went to Buca di Beppos, a good, family style, Italian restaurant. As six, we ordered 3 different entrees for variety and a large $12 delicious piece of chocolate cake! (I'm going back just for that sometime!)

We've now learned the name of our bouncer friend we see daily. I thought he looked like a Drew so later that night Janice asked him and its Owen, close..

Monday I took the class solid from 830-1230, first time for that long. I think it went well. This week has been a bit stressful, my teacher told me I was disappointing her in some things but from my pov it was all misunderstandings or clash of personality. So thats been unfortunate but these past two days she's been really positive so I think it's improving. Next week I am full time so it better go well! (send me some good luck!)

We also had a little get together for Susan's 22nd, whoo hoo! We ordered Dominos and ate cake :) It was fun if only because it was like we were back home, I mean because we don't normally order pizza here on our budget and such... yeah I guess it was all about the food, always is with me, no?! ;)

Yesterday I went and explored the Harold Washington Library Center. Man, I would love to live close to a library that big! I only made it up to the 7th floor (for Wicked, going to read as much as I can before we see the play, and I figured I've got a good 30 mins a day on the El) and the 2nd floor is Childrens (for books for my India unit, which every time I mention stresses me out a bit) and the 1st floor which seems to have quite a good range of dvds though I didn't get much time to look. Its interesting that in the middle there are escalators and you just have to keep turning the corner and going up, turn the corner go up, turn the corner... It got a little long to go from 2 to 7 with two escalators per floor... But I was loving it nonetheless.

Today I started my whole class book unit on different trade goods. To get them interested in the topic I started off the lesson by asking my teacher if she had something to trade me this box of nerds for.. pre-planned of course but she then said how about these bottlecaps, nope. how about this laffy taffy? so we trade and all the kids are by now wild with excitement. So I asked the class who had something to trade me for this candy? Some ideas were thrown out but when I was offered a million dollar diamond ring, I took it. Its a stellar dollar sign shaped ring with little clear stones, so funny. So in short... I think it went well and I hope that continues

tonight I want to get my unit lesson plans aka 3 weeks of lesson plans done and turned in... sounds impossible yes, but I am hopeful (since it is pretty close to a requirement!) So no spring weather enjoyment for me. I will sit in my sad lonely little apartment pretending to work while staring out the window at the sunlit building across the way...

1 comment:

cjellmoney said...

Always nice to receive a comment.
I read this.
I need to keep up a bit better...you are an astute blogger.
I would like to meet the whore you are teaching under who doesn't get along with breanna miller. I hope she reads this too. Whore.