Monday, August 18, 2008

Escuela... here we come!

Sunday
A bunch of us decided we needed groceries today so we ventured off to Soriana, the Mexican WalMart. They are actually competitors but this is 100% mexican owned and I think cheaper as well, I vote we never go to walmart again (hate to admit we went the first time), though Sunday afternoon is not the time apparently. Shopping day! Let's all get carts and push everyone around while getting our groceries, it'll be fun!

Later we all gathered at the boys house for a little Phase 10. We played in partners for extra bonding :) Afterwards, we got some ice cream and rice and beans. Yep, that order. There is an ice cream shop on the corner, Bips, which we have seen hoppin busy every night so we had to test it out for ourselves. Pretty tasty treat, cheap too of course. The rice and beans were homemade by Emily, buen trabajo amiga!

Monday
First Day of School!!! Kind of. We came for a day of fun filled with orientation and insurance dealings. The school is a lot bigger than I imagined, there are I think three large areas, a courtyard in the middle and an outdoor gym area, and the preprimaria section has its own courtyard/play area. It is fun that it is all open and basically outdoors. I will have to get some pics later. Jenna's room especially has a great view; she is on the second floor and walking out of her classroom you can see across the courtyard with the mountains in the background! I am unfortunately in a section all to myself, well mostly. The majority of the people are in elementary 1-6, but I am through a little gate off the courtyard and in the preprimaria section which houses all the young'ns.

This wonderful morning meeting ended with 'a talk.' you know when someone says that it probably isn't positive... "There was a mistake and we need houses C and D to switch. OOOOOHHHH ok. Geesh, it took me days to unpack the first time! and I had just finished. So thankfully we really are working with a bunch of nice people so everyone volunteered to go right over to the houses and help us all pack up and swap. It only took an hour or so, but then I had suitcases to unpack again. They went untouched for at least 24 hrs. There were positives and negatives, no a/c now but also no cockroaches. It does have an air cooling system though that really works well enough with the fans going. I'm always cold anyway so I am golden here.

Another stop at Bips with others that didn't get to try it out the first time. I got nachos this time, and when asked if I wanted everything on it I of course said yes. This includes: chips, cheese, sour cream, ketchup, chili, corn, and jalapenos. They definitely cannot be judged based on description or viewing though because I rather liked them. Jenna and Jenn both got cones and both had trouble eating them. Jenn's fell off her cone twice and Jenna's melted all down her cone and onto her hands/arm! Comical, but they still liked it. We ended the night jammin out while watching the movie Hairspray with the roomies plus Charlie :) I went to sleep early, it's apparently getting to me, and we have another day of school work-ing to do tomorrow.

And a few pictures ...

Megan and I out front, note pink neon roof, my room is just behind there somewhere

Too bad you can't clearly see the nachos, nor Jenna's treacherous scoops :)
L-R: Malita, Emily, Me, Jenna aka Casa C

This is the whole gang at orientation!
L-R, Backrow: Tom, Victor, Charlie, Lesley, Megan, Erin, Jenn
Frontrow: Natalie, Me, Malita, Emily, Jenna, Joanna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to Sorianas when I was with the band in Chihuahua! It was excellent! I found these awesome "Kinder" (German) chocolate eggs with prizes inside that we used to get each Christmas from my mom's friends who lived in Germany. Good times! Fun to read about your adventures! :)