Saturday, August 16, 2008

This one's for you, Michael Phelps

Friday night was quite enjoyable. Natalie, Jenna, and I made our first homemade quesadillas. We grilled some onions and used panela cheese, its a crumbly cheese that is used a lot for tacos and such here, it doesn't melt well but it tasted really good. And of course we washed it down with a 2L of Coca.
Around 1030 or so we went over to Casa E where all but Malita (gone to the grama's) hung out for Catch Phrase and some chips and salsa and margaritas. After a few rounds of real play, we added our own rules, like 5 word limit just to keep it interesting. Many laughs had by all.
L-R: Lesley, Jenna, Natalie, Megan, Erin, Jenn, Emily, Me

Saturday
Another leisure morning for us all. I woke up and organized my room a bit more, then bowl of standard Azucaradas and a lot more chilling. Its a rough life so far I tell ya. Since we needed our exercise for the day, we went to the Club and swam for an hour or so. The pool is all the same depth, about 5 feet, and a wonderful temp. It was very refreshing and I'm sure we will be back many times. We got a schedule of their classes offered too and decided we are most likely going to try the majority. Yoga, Ballet Jazz, Aerobics, why not?! We all feel like we are members of a country club going there. they have cute little huts with grass roofs, the bleachers to watch tennis matches, ..its a fun place. I even got super lucky and found 3 pesos on the floor of the pool! oh wait, thats like 30¢. I had also found a peso in my closet this am too though so it was funny. 40¢ richer here people, I'm gonna be rollin in it soon :)

For lunch we tested out another new place. I got a sandwich cubana... maybe a little too much chorizo for my liking, and I'm not a huge cilantro fan either, but the milanesa and everything else on it was good. I'm still in the experimenting stage I guess. After showering off the pool, I finally finished unpacking and sorting out my room! I was quite proud. It looks good, all clean and organized, let's see how long that lasts.

Around 630 casas A/B come over and they get into watching the Olympics. The other houses were called and all came over. they said at 8 Phelps would be doing his last race so we kept watching... 2 hrs and 2 grilled cheese sandwiches later it really came on. I wish I had had my camera to capture all 11 of those faces very intently, very enthusiastically watching that 4x100 medley. Of course he got the 8th gold, did you have any doubt? When the national anthem came on and the guys didn't sing along as the previous australian team we saw had, it somehow came up that someone would sing it at a karaoke bar and dedicate it to Michael (hence blog title). You'd think we all loved him, or at least sports quite a bit because almost 6 hrs after starting to watch the olympics for something to do, we decided we had seen all the highlights enough times over and we could finally disperse to get some rest.

No comments: