Thursday night is Lucha Libre night in Gomez! A fellow American teacher, Victor drove there with me and 4 others so we could enjoy the entertainment. If you are unfamiliar with this term, it is the mexican wrestling they do with masks, more recent pop culture reference would be Nacho Libre. As I have no former experience with it, I didn't go into with many expectations, it took a little bit for me to get into it, but that stuff is funny! As was pointed out by a few fans, the best part is really the crowd, the hecklers if you will. Fortunately for us, we were seated just in front of a very vocal, witty fan. The fighting itself is ridiculous; contact is hardly ever really made and the choreography can be so blatantly obvious. But couple this, first with a good sense of humor and an open mind, but second with the crowd and the announcer as well cracking jokes nonstop... you have yourself a good time. The show stopper of the night was probably Sexy Piscis, this was an unusual drag wrestler who won the crowd over with the large array of jokes to be had at her expense. The only complaint I can come away with is the seating: why are the benches tilted back at an angle complete with metal back? The bruised spine was worth the show though!
Sweet action move! looks more like the worm, no?!
On the left there is Sexi Piscis...
you can see Natalie in the bottom left corner,
and she was sitting next to me.
So you know we were close.
Bringing the fight into the crowd?! love it! :)
Friday after school I went home with one of my kids. His mom speaks English very well, and the older children are also going to a bilingual school so there was a lot of English being spoken. Good and bad, I should be practicing my spanish much more than I do now.... Anyway, it was interesting to see their house and hang out for a few hours. I am now on the cool list I think too because A) you should have seen his face when he heard I went to Lucha and B) I played Wii with him! His mom joined in on the action too which was fun, we had ourselves a Mario Party. Teachers can be cool people too you know :)
2 comments:
I love the wrestling pictures and the commentary. Glad you are a "cool" teacher now.
Fun stuff! I love the wrestling pictures/write up! WWE Raw is going to be in the town where team's going to do Habitat for Humanity. Maybe I'll get in on some of the wrestling action myself! :)
Post a Comment