Sunday, October 12, 2008

Soccer Surpasses All

This coming week Colegio Inglés is hosting a tournament, Copa Libertad. We had a general meeting last Wednesday that informed us about this. It begins on Wed and this of course means for the teachers that there cannot be any homework assigned on these days nor any tests/quizzes given. Because, god forbid they have to think about school while trying to focus on their game. The games are even during the school day so if some of your students are on a team they will simply leave for the duration of their match, no worries, they won't miss much anyway right?! We are allowed to take our classes to watch the games as well... might as well, what else is going to get done. All these issues don't effect me as much since I am a kindergarten teacher, though I still have kids on teams and they will leave, the homework/test thing means nothing. We Prepri teachers are going to even make flags or pompons to wave while watching, taking more time, but they're five and crafts are good for them. Its just annoying. The good thing is though, this means tutoring is cancelled during these days as well.... soooo my required wednesday timeslot will have been bumped three weeks in a row now! The first time only one of the hours was, through a mistake in scheduling, I did not have an individual to tutor, this last week was the meeting instead and then this week the tourny.
Jenna and I are quite the Betty Crockers here. On Thursday night we threw together some random ingredients and made a pan full of enchiladas. "it's so tasty, too!" -I Love Lucy.
This weekend was a pretty good one. I was able to forget about school most of the time, which I think means it was more relaxing. On friday night, emily and I went to Casa E to play games. Saturday I hit the pool with 7 other fellow teachers. I could sit and read in the sun all day. and even though the water was a bit chilly, it was refreshing. so while i sat around and soaked up the sun, everyone else had apparently gone there to exercise!? They were counting laps and working on their strokes etc. not my thing :) We ended with some pretty good entertainment though: Tye and Natalie choreographed a Power Rangers 'fight scene' they did for us. Once we were ready to go Victor invited us to go to his aunt's birhtday party with him, a spanish party with good food, we weren't turning that down. There was quite a bit of food, and it was quite good, so we were not disappointed. They had rented a karaoke machine which was funny. Chava, the spanish boyfriend of one of the teachers, sang a few songs and he was a pretty good singer. Victor also sang one, and then we headed back for a little rest and relaxation. As soon as I arrived home, my roomies were all going to one of the local hotspots for food, Farolitos, and I couldn't pass it up. So only a few short hours after eating at the party I went to a restaurant! We decided to end our day with the cinema, Victor and I went to The Rocker, funny movie with a good soundtrack, while Erin Emily and Jenna went to Mamma Mia. Today I think is a stay at home day for me. Just chillax in casa and store up some energy for the week. I just finished reading this weeks requirement for the book we are now reading for our spanish class... Shiloh, in spanish of course!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great weekend. Lots of food and friends. Glad you are feeling better too. And sun a good book what else could you want.

Anonymous said...

i read all these. thanks beaner, you're doing cool shit