Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pamper Yourself and Take a Vaca (or 2)

I cannot believe it is already March 31. Tomorrow is April and that means that I only have 3 more months here in Mexico! It's gone by so quickly, but I am getting really close to the point where I am ready to get back. My behavior problem children are exhausting daily, our school does weird things a lot administration wise, and ... I miss shopping. It may sound weird but I was even talking to my assistant about it and she said she never goes clothes shopping in Mexico, most everyone here goes to TX for their shopping needs. I apparently didn't pack many things for warm weather, and I guess by warm I mean hot. Already, it has hit 100º, in MARCH! so I can only guess what has yet to come.Two weekends ago, four of us girls decided to take a weekend trip to Parras, only a short 3 hr bus ride away. It is home to the very first winery in the Americas, founded in 1597 and still churning out some good wines and brandys. We got to tour the place and taste test a few wines. It would be much prettier in May or so when the vines that cover every pathway are covered with leaves and bunches of grapes. We even bought a bottle of wine to share later. Our hotel was a cute little place with a tiny pool out back (not really workable, slightly dingy and very small and cold), but also in this courtyard were picnic tables and hammocks. Very peaceful and much needed recoup vacation. The town even has 3 estanques, or reservoirs that hold some of the springs they have there. The water was a fun part of the city, some of the streets have a little creek running right next to it, as in under peoples driveways. So no need to buy fountains for the water noises there, just crack open the window! We swam and laid out a bit at one estanque [surprisingly big, about 3 meters deep and I don't know how wide but quite, I wouldn't have swam to the other side] before we had to unfortunately head back for school.

The pathway with the vines over head, just barely budding


This is the lovely bottle opener we borrowed
from the lady across the street.
Doesn't everyone own a deer hoof bottle opener?

I just really liked this picture.
The estanque, I think this pic
doesn't quite show its size.
but it was lovely!

Just today I decided to get myself a manicure. They are so cheap here, as most things are - massages, pedicures, laser hair removal, etc. Thankfully Friday brings Spring Break as well. I am sooo stoked for 2 weeks without school! [this week also brings 2 paydays! the 15th falls on break so we get paid early] It was quite ironic that I am IN Mexico and couldn't decide what I should do for Spring Break. The biggest group is going to Mexico City, but I already stayed there for 3 weeks or so during college, so it felt a little 'been there done that.' Most other people have family coming down to meet them. I took up an offer to go to Phoenix to one of the fellow teachers houses for the first week. I have never been, and its no hotel cost, on top of being able to go shopping :) For the second week I am going to meet two teachers in Oaxaca, a southern state in Mexico. We plan to go beach hopping, maybe surf a bit?! catch some rays, whateve. Hopefully its a rejuvenating good time!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

it is tough all over here we go to work and get 2/3 of aday off then back to work no vinards no trips to phenix you know sandy is there beach hopping that must be like when you drive down the road and now there is no snow it is the same here as there isn't life grand all this and paydays too grama and grampa will be here next week for the rest of the month dad

debra said...

Sounds like you are going to have a fantastic break. Are you staying at Victor's in AZ then? Have fun shopping, buy something cute for your trip to Oaxaca. I hear that is a great place. Wish I could have joined you. Love ya Lots

Unknown said...

Oh yeah what a great picture that would make when the vines and grapes are full!! The bottle opener not so much. LOL xxoo