Monday, February 2, 2009
Rata, Rata Flaca ♪
Saturday I went to my first Banda concert! basically Mexican country. It was fun [at least until the last hour or so when it was too cold for comfort (ha, I guess it would have been a major heat wave in MN)] I didn't really go in with many expectations as usual, but it wasn't what I imagined. First of all, Victor, his cousin, and I enter and are separated into segregated lines - girls to the right, boys to the left. I think for a split second that was weird but continue on and pass off my ticket and get my purse searched. Just like many other stadiums or arenas so nothing too out of the ordinary, wouldn't want some girl sneakin in a bomb or anything... Then I look over to the mens line and there are 10 or so cops dressed in full uniform lined up near the wall. We see these guys around dressed in their solid navy blue uniforms and packing some major heat, pretty imtimidating fellows. between the wall and them are all the men who enter, now with their hands on the wall, legs spread, and bodies being groped. That took me by surprise. I mean I know the drug/gang stuff is a pretty big deal here in La Laguna but still... Anyway, quickly forgotten. Let me set the mood: EVERY man there is wearing the boots and hats characteristic to Durango (only a slight exaggeration I promise). This means boots are made of materials such as alligator, ostrich, etc, and the toe is pointy as ever! The joke is that they are good for killing cockroaches in corners. Really though, think pointy...ok now add 3-4 more inches in length to your mental picture and there you have it. The cowboy hats are also worn very high, an inch or so above the ear. Its a distinct look they have. Many were even in full out suits, one especially fine young gentlemen decided to get his name embroidered on the back and the pant leg of his... very classy. Another part of the scene I want you to imagine: I am the lone, and I mean one and only, white person in attendance. Also neither Victor nor I went in proper attire to be sure. Victor was sporting a zipup hoodie and his grandpas while I have on an apparently conservative outfit with Chucks. Most girls there were in belly baring tanks (despite the obvious cold spell) and heels. The things we do for beauty... So, there were a couple of different bands playing different stages of obviously different calibers, the 'not quite so popular' to the 'we hail from Chicago' popular. I of course didn't really know any of the songs but that didn't stop me from dancing :) Its hard to explain how they do it, you would have to see it I think. Some of the guys were leading like crazy, throwing the women all around with their feet hardly even touching the floor! Which, by the way, soon became a mess of Tecate beer cans. Garbage cans dont matter, when you finish just drop it on the ground, better yet, why dont you throw it with some force on the ground?! In short, banda was fun.... you should try it some time
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Glad to hear you had some fun, Can't wait to try "banda" ;-) Keep warm in your MN heat wave
Post a Comment