Tuesday, September 30, 2008

POG

Do you remember POG?? That sweet game of milkcaps that was a fad in the 90s? It's cool here! I love it, it reminds me of the younger years :) Fun fact for the day: I read about its background just now.. it originated in Hawaii, caps were used from the juice bottles made of Passionfruit Orange and Guava, hence...

Too bad I didn't bring my collection (that I am sure is still somewhere in the closet of the spare bedroom at home) maybe I could have used them as extrinsic motivation! man, after all that studying of educational philosopher, Alfie Kohn, last year, I can't believe I want to use them!? where has my teaching philosophy gone?!? and why do stickers work so well for my kids?! along with the punishment of 5 minutes of recess.... Its an interesting topic, his book is called, Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes. Think about it, though apparently ideals and reality don't always fit ;) I keep telling myself that it would be soo different if I were in the states because adding the language barrier issue makes things 10x harder than it already is for kindergarteners. is it true?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the POGS I really do think that you have them in a box in a closet somewhere maybe I will look. Great picture. Kindergarten must be the most challenging because of the age and the attention span and the learning curve. Keep hanging in there. Love ya

Alisha said...

Pogs! that is amazing I loved them as a kid, still do. Seriously, what is up with Jenna leaving messages for you.

Anonymous said...

Pogs! How nostalgic! :) I can't say I ever got too many of them--probably because I always tried to be the anti-fad person. Go figure. I still had a few. Good times!